On September 27, 2010, Gila River Indian Community Executive Order No 09-27-10 was approved. This Executive Order dissolved the Economic Development Department and authorized the transfer of the Economic Development functions to the Pima Leasing and Financing Corporation.
PLFC soon began operation at the Wild Horse Pass Corporate Center, in Chandler, Arizona and is a legal entity wholly owned by the Gila River Indian Community. The control and management of the affairs of PLFC is vested in a Board of Directors that consist of members of the Economic Development Standing Committee of the Community Council.
The Economic Development Standing Committee hired four of the first PLFC employees: the Executive Director, the Leasing Coordinator, a Business Analyst and the Corporate Secretary. On October 4, 2010, the office staff began their employment with PLFC.
PLFC was a start-up company which meant everything from the business cards to the company logo had to be created and established. The PLFC logo that was chosen and being utilized today is a depiction of a flower basket design weaved by an elder Akimel O’otham woman in the 1900’s.
Since October 2010, the PLFC has grown with employees, tribal member business loan clients and tribal land leasing companies. Although, some of the programs of the Economic Development Department were eliminated, PLFC provides services to the Gila River Indian Community members that include: tax return preparation, credit counseling, and business development training.